Someone is spamming your guestbook

Post any technical problems or issues here.

Someone is spamming your guestbook

Postby candygirlnj19666 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:51 am

Hey nathaniel, some person is spamming your guestbook, just wanted to let you know.
candygirlnj19666

Postby Nathaniel » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:52 pm

Thanks for telling me, but I'm painfully aware... At the moment, there's not much I can do, except go in and clean it up whenever I have the time. :(

In a few weeks, I'll have some more time off and also be back home again. That'll give me time to throw together an admin-interface for the guestbook, and implement some basic anti-spamming code.

Right now, it looks like I've used form names a bit too common for spammers. It's all probably automatic, so the only way to stop it is to change the code to make them unable to automatically send in post-submits and fill up the guestbook.

Technical mumbo-jumbo aside, this isn't hard to fix and I'll get on it as soon as I have the time :)

[EDIT]

Ok, I added a somewhat primitive way of checking if a poster is spamming or not. I simply ask them :D

One has to check a checkbox in order to confirm that he or she is indeed a thinking, human being. I don't think most spambots go as far as to check every checkbox they find, so hopefully this will fight them off for now.
Nathaniel

Return to Technical Issues